Saturday, April 20, 2013

Phantom


A couple months ago, Shelli saw a flyer at the coffee shop that the local high school was going to be putting on Phantom. I told her to get tickets and we would surprise Zoe.  Zoe has a love for Broadway (like her parents) and I thought this would be right up her alley. If it were up to Z, she’d see a Broadway show once a month, heck so would we if it weren’t so expensive!

Zoe knew that today was the “big surprise” but she had no idea what it was.  All she knew was that it started with the letter P.  Zoe has been guessing ‘P’ things for the past several days, sure that the ‘P’ was the birthday party she was going to Saturday morning.  Of course it wasn’t, but we decided to throw her a bone at dinner tonight before the show.  We grabbed a napkin and set up a game of Hangman.  She knew the first letter was ‘P’, but she got down to the last guess and decided she would just look a the napkin while she was eating before she made her last guess.  About 5 minutes later we saw a big smile on her face and knew she’d figured out where we were going. To say she was excited was an understatement!

The play was phenomenal!  Zoe sat in the middle of Shelli and I, and was on the edge of her chair the entire time watching in complete awe. About act 5 Zoe turned to Shelli and was asked, ‘Is it almost over, I don’t want it to end!’  Shelli assured her there was a lot more to come.  Zoe sang all the songs and when her favorite song, “Masquerade” came up, she danced from her seat and mimicked the dance moves the kids were doing on stage. I never in a million years would of thought a high school play could be so amazing.  They pulled out all the stops and the production was just fantastic.  Between watching my daughter in full delight and watching the play, I’d have to say we had a magical night. 

No comments: