Sunday, September 19, 2010

Cooking and Baking


This morning Zoe and I got up and spent a couple hours in the kitchen making corn chowder out of our newest vegetarian cookbook. Zoe did fantastic and really enjoys being in the kitchen. Then, I looked over and noticed our bananas were looking a little past the point of eating so, we emailed Mamaw for her banana bread recipe.

I can’t remember the last time I cooked a meal. It’s been so hectic around here that I just don’t have the energy. This morning I woke up ready to get in the kitchen with my favorite girl in the whole wide world and get busy. The weather has been absolutely perfect so, we opened all the windows, put on the radio, and spent some wonderful quality time in the kitchen.

Corn Chowder
3 oz. butter
2 large onions, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons cumin
4 cups vegetable broth
2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 cup canned creamed-style corn
2 cups fresh corn kernels
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Salt and peper

1. Heat the butter in large pan. Add onions and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minuets. Add garlic and cumin , cook 1 minuet, stirring constantly. Add veggie stock, bring to a boil. Add potatoes and reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minuets.
2. Add the creamed corn and corn kernels. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer 10 minuets. Stir in cheese, salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with chives (optional)


Mamaw’s banana bread is a secret recipe …..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How did the banana bread turn out?
It looks great. I bet it smelled yummy as it was baking. Warm banana bread is the best.
Mamaw